Events2order Event organising & management specialists.
Visit the 2order Group of companies home page.

everything you need to know about e1-11 medical certificates

If you are an EU/EEA national and are travelling or staying temporarily in another state belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you are entitled to receive medical care should you become ill or have an accident.

what is an e1-11 medical certificate?

An E1-11 Medical Certificate is a form that entitles you and your family to free or reduced cost emergency medical treatment in most of Western Europe. Traveling with it can give you extra peace of mind and save on medical insurance bills.

is it the same as the european health insurance card?

Yes, on 1st June, 2004 the E111 and a number of other 'E' forms (i.e., E128, etc.) were replaced by a new European Health Insurance Card. Which will be rolled out in most member states over the next 3 years, this means that E1-11 Medical Certificates will still be accepted in all member states for the for seeable future.

what does it cover ?

Only state provided emergency treatment is covered and you receive care on the same terms as nationals of the countries you're visiting. Treatment may not include all the things you would expect to receive free on the NHS.

what doesn't it cover?

Emergency dental treatment is often not covered, and you may have to pay for extras such as X rays. The cost of bringing a person back to the UK, in the event of illness or death, is also not covered.

do i have to pay?

Each country has its own rules. In some, treatment is free or you have to pay part of the cost, in others you have to pay the full cost and then claim a partial or full refund. The booklet accompanying the E1-11 form gives details about what treatment is available in each of the qualifying countries. Keep it with you when you travel. Follow the rules of each particular country or you may have to pay charges which cannot be refunded.

where is it valid?

E1-11 Medical Certificates are valid in countries of the European Economic Area (EEA). Currently comprising of 25 Member States of the European Union, which are Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

where can i apply for one?

You can obtain an E1-11 certificate From your local post office. Fill it in, and it will be stamped and signed and returned to you. This is important if it's not signed by the post office, it is not valid. You need your national insurance number (you can find it on your payslip) or your pension number, to complete the form. Keep it with your passport and always carry it when traveling in the EEC.

is there an application fee?

No it's free!

does it expire?

No, There is no time limit for an E1-11 Medical Certificate. It remains valid as long as you remain resident in the UK. You will only need to apply for another if you use it to claim for treatment or if you lose it. If you move house, you should get a new E1-11.

who is covered?

Your E1-11 will cover you, your spouse and your children up to the age of 16, or 19 if they are in full time education. It also covers an unmarried partner if you have children together. When children reach adulthood they should apply for their own form and you should get a new E1-11 without the children included.

how do i use it to get treatment?

You should always keep a photocopy of the form with the original. This is important if you need treatment in the Netherlands, Italy, France, Germany or Spain as you will need to present a photocopy of your certificate at the time of treatment. you will also require your original certificate which will be given back to you and the photocopy kept.

how do i claim a refund for treatment?

Claim any refunds by applying, either in person or by post, to the relevant authority in the country you are visiting. You must include the original documents. If you leave your claim until you return to the UK, you should send your claim form to the address listed below.

They will liaise with the authorities of the other country on your behalf. Send your bills, prescriptions and receipts. If possible keep copies for yourself. Because you are not refunded from the NHS, you may have to wait a long time to receive your refund.

Claim forms should be sent to;
DSS Benefits Agency, Pensions and Overseas, Benefits Directorate (DWP), Lynne view Park, Whitley Rd,Newcastle Upon Lynne, NE98 1BA. Phone Enquiry's: 0191 218 7547.


Copyright 2000 ~ 2018 events2order all rights reserved